An indigenous schoolgirl brutally killed allegedly by Bengali settlers in Kaptai

On 15 December 2014 between 12:00pm-1:00pm, Umra Ching(Chhobi) Marma, 15, an indigenous schoolgirl was killed allegedly by two Bengali settler miscreants named Mohammad Niazam Uddin and Mohammad MasudRana in Chitmaram area underKaptaiupazila in Rangamati district. Chhobirecently finished her Junior School Certificate exams.

It is learnt that on the day (15 December) at around 11:30am, Chhobi, daughter of AnuMongMarma and NaisuiMarma, of ChitmaramKeyngghatBangchori Muslim Para of Kaptai Union underKaptaiupazilawent to collect vegetablesfrom a Jum farm, some half a kilometer away from their home. She informed her parents that she would come back home in a little while. As she did not come back home even within an hour, Naisui, her mother, turned anxious and started searching for Chhobi. At around 1:15 pm, Chhobi’s mother found the half-naked dead body of Chhobi.

It is learnt that after arriving at the Jum farm, Chhobi was collecting vegetables. At some point Mohammad Nizam Uddin, 20, son of Mohammad Nasir Uddin, called her from nearby hilltop to go to talk to him. Since Chhobi knew him, she went towards Mohammad Nizam. On her way, all on a sudden, MasudRana, 19, son of Mohammad Mahtab Ali appeared in the scene and placed a ‘dao’ (a sharp knife used for household and farming activities) on her neck. Then he threatened to kill her in the case she would like to move. Then both Nizam Uddin and MasudRana tried to rape her. However, Chhobi tried to resist and altercation took place between them. At some point the perpetrators slit the throat of Chhobi.

After learning about the incident, locals informed police. Police rushed to the spot and rescued the dead body at around 2:00 pm and sent it to Rangamati General Hospital for the purpose of autopsy. The autopsy report is yet to come out.

AnuMongMarma, father of Chhobi, filed a murder case with Kaptai police station. Police took three Bengali settlers including Nizam Uddin and MasudRana in their custody in this connection. Police interrogated them in the same police station and MasudRana confessed his involvement with the killing. He was produced to the court on 17 December 2014.